September 23, 2012

Sussex Vale Quilters' Guild Show a success

Sussex Vale Quilters' Guild Show was a success . And that's not just my opinion we had great feed back from the viewers. There was lots to see and and lots of shopping and lots of cookies but it was the quilts that they came for and what quilts we had ! The venue was in the new Legion with great Lighting so ever thing showed really well and there was also lot of room to move around. This was my first time to coordinate a quilt show but in all fairness I had a great co-coordinator and a great team that made sure all the the different tasks were done well.

This was the challenge that I made myself to do
 
- This Way or That and my story was...

I am not a traditional quilter and working on a tightly controlled structural pattern I find very challenging. This Way or That was out of my comfort zone and focusing on fine lines and tight corners was a learning curve for me. I designed the lay out on the computer program Electric Quilt 7 and was inspired to work with a collection of black and white fat quarters that I had recently purchased. One piece had a touch of red threw out, an obvious colour to highlight with since it is a favorite..
Proceeds from the sale of this Wall hanging will be donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada Team in Training. Not one to back down from a challenge my sister Murratte Graves will be raising funds for LLS by running a ½ marathon Jan 2013 in memory of our Mother who passed away 2 years ago from Lymphoma. The wall hanging sold on Saturday for $500. with 90% going to LLS and the other 10% to the guild . This was a good feeling work.

This one is more my style

Change

On the eve of spring gone are the days of crisp white winter landscapes. Greens of new growth have yet to sprout and the gardens are hanging on to last fall’s dried bounty. Just slightly to the right in the shadows an indication of what’s to come. Change!

Experimentation from the dye pot was my inspiration for“Change”. Marking making with natural dyes, in this case iron, goldenrod, and onion skins, on vintage cotton and antique lace allowed me to manipulate the material and enhance what I found appealing. Hand and free motion machine stitching continued the mark making.
for sale at $500.

A few images from the show
 
Peoples Choice Gail Fearon
 
Original Design- Leigh Smith
 Sale Table
 
Marilyn Wynn at admission 
 Past projects and Demo
 
 Quilts 
 
  more quilts
 
 and more quilts
 
 and more
 
 and even more quilts - I think there were around 60
 
and then there were wall hangings, miniatures, and original designs
 

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Very lovely work , your art work is very creative . Thanks for sharing the quilt show , it looks wonderful and i like the fact the quilts are displayed full length :-)

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regina said...

Great show, great quilts, yours are wonderful. As I am living in a quilt desert I am envious.....

Lesley Turner said...

An impressive show of work. Hope it was well attended.